Autoimmune disease symptoms don’t always announce their arrival loudly. Many people slowly develop autoimmune conditions like leaky gut syndrome without even realizing anything is wrong. And the road to a diagnosis can be long and frustrating.
In fact, it can take about five years to receive an official autoimmune diagnosis. The average person goes to six to 10 doctors before autoimmunity is recognized as the culprit, largely because the symptoms of these diseases are so disparate and vague. So how can you know if you’re suffering autoimmune disease symptoms, and what can you do about them? Let’s take a look.
Common Autoimmune Disease Symptoms
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, especially a combination of several of them, you may have an autoimmune disease. Please remember, this list is not meant to replace your doctor’s diagnosis, but to be used as a starting point for you to start asking questions and start finding answers.
- Joint pain, muscle pain, weakness or tremor
- Thyroid issues that could point to Hashimoto’s disease (underactive thyroid) or Graves disease (overactive thyroid)
- Digestive tract issues: Stomach cramping, Gas, Bloated stomach, Diarrhea, Constipation
- General feeling of malaise or anxiety
- Brain fog, difficulty focusing or concentrating
- Feeling “wired and tired”
- Exhaustion or fatigue
- Skin issues such as:
-Red bumps on facial skin and red flaking skin
- Hair loss or white patches on your skin or inside your mouth
- Weight loss, insomnia, heat intolerance or rapid heartbeat
- Weight gain or cold intolerance
- Dry mouth, dry eyes
- Frequent colds
- Multiple miscarriages or blood clots
If you do have any of these symptoms, please don’t ignore them, hoping they’re nothing serious or that they’ll just go away on their own.
I know from personal experience how overwhelming, confusing and scary a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease can be. I also know that conventional medicine only offers treatment of the symptoms, not a real solution to the disease.
Although I have found an excellent functional medicine physician nearby who diagnosed my condition and has been quite helpful, I wanted to learn more. My own research led me to Paula’s Micronized Purple Rice – a micronized, raw superfood that really “kick-started” the recovery process for me. I could hardly believe how much better I felt after only a few months! If you want to know more, click here.
I also urge you to find a functional medicine physician in your area to help you get to the root cause of your illness and to help you reverse your disease. It is possible.