You know that a spritz of lemon essential oil will repel mosquitoes or cut through grease in a DIY cleaning solution, but what else are the citrus essential oils good for? Lots! Below are the most common uses for these often over-looked oils.
Lemon Essential Oil
- De-goop, gunk, and gum – A few drops of lemon oil will work gum out of hair and help remove just about any random sticky substance.
- In the Dishwasher – Put a little lemon oil in the dishwasher soap container. Your dishes will sparkle!
- In the Humidifier – A few drops of lemon oil in your humidifier can help with upper respiratory problems and coughs.
- In the Diffuser – Lemon oil is stimulating and can improve mood and energy levels.
Lime Essential Oil
- Dry Erase Board Cleaner – yes, really! Add one drop at a time to a gunky dry erase board and rub with a rag to remove marker, crayon, and buildup.
- Sore Throat – You can gargle a drop of lime and a drop of lemon essential oil in warm water to relieve a sore throat.
- Natural Deodorant – dilute in a spray bottle and mist your skin, or mix a couple drops in coconut oil and apply under armpits for a quick freshen up.
Orange Essential Oil
- Anxiety Relief – diffusing orange oil can calm the nervous system. You can also carry a small orange oil infused cloth in a plastic pouch to hold to your nose on stressful days.
- Cooking – A drop or two in a smoothie, or a drop or less in frosting adds flavor (make sure your essential oil is “food grade”).
- Digestive Problems – Massage into the belly counter-clockwise 2-3 times a day to ease an upset stomach or constipation.
- Relaxation – Wild orange essential oil can be uplifting in general, but usually it has a calming effect that can decrease restlessness and help you sleep.
Tangerine Essential Oil
- Muscle Rub – Massage into the skin to treat muscle cramps and stiff, painful joints.
- Corns – A drop of tangerine oil a day for 30 days or less will remove corns from your toes.
- Water Retention – Improves blood circulation and can reduce water retention when added to drinking water .
Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Diffuse for Appetite Suppression – grapefruit essential oil can reduce your cravings and the urge to emotionally eat.
- Energy – a quick sniff of grapefruit oil can elevate your energy levels.
- Hair Health– grapefruit essential oil stimulates hair follicles and helps hair growth, and it can treat dandruff too. Massage a few drops onto the scalp after showering.
Bergamot Essential Oil
Muscle Tension – A few drops of bergamot essential oil mixed into body lotions or massage oils can help to relieve tension and inflammation. Use just 1 to 2 drops at a time, mixing well and testing the aroma until you reach your desired strength.
Skin Treatment – Mix one part naturally antiseptic bergamot with 5 parts aloe vera gel to treat acne, athlete’s foot, eczema, fungal skin infections and more. Apply twice a day, diluting further if you experience any skin irritation.
An important word of caution: Citrus oils are often photosensitive. When using photosensitizing oil, wait a minimum of six hours before exposing skin to UV rays. The stronger and more lengthy the UV ray, the longer the wait should be.
What cool uses have you found for citrus essential oils? Tell me in the comments!
And if you are interested in ordering some citrus oils, Contact Me to get in on my next Young Living order.